Studying for a master's degree will be transformational for you academically, socially and will open doors to many new and exciting employment opportunities. Our tailor-made employability module has been designed to give you the best start to your professional life after your degree.
Before you start your course and on firm acceptance of your offer you will be given early access to our exclusive Postgraduate Employability Skills Training Programme.
We will help you to recognise the skills that you already have to identify the professional pathway that you would like to pursue and support your journey towards successful postgraduate career.
The School PG team look forward to meeting you at City in September.
The programme will cover the following core topics:
• Explore your values and skills
• Explore your options
• Develop your skills
• Develop your experience
• Succeed at applications
• Succeed at assessment centres, online tests and interviews
- To define your strengths, values and interests and how they will inform your career choices.
- Reflect on your current skills and experiences and plan for the skills you need to develop through goal setting.
- Help you define your key skills, abilities and knowledge areas that can be used when identifying and engaging with potential employers.
- Make a start on creating your own CV using our templates.
- Construct impactful cover letters and application forms in order to be successful in your search for a job.
- Understand how to successfully perform at online tests, assessment centres and at interviews.
- Recognise and understand the different ways to source and apply for opportunities.
- Build awareness of different resources and websites to support your job search and knowledge building.
- Differentiate between selection methods you might come across in the recruitment process.
Information on the platform & FAQs
Who gets access?
On firm acceptance of your offer, the School of Science & Technology Programmes Office will invite you to sign up via an online form, and subsequently enrol you onto this Postgraduate Employability Skills Training programme before you start your master course in September.
How do I access and use the content?
This programme is hosted online. Once you have signed up, you will be enrolled onto the programme within 5 working days with instructions on how to set up your account from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each section of the course consists of a series of videos and activities that you are asked to complete. We also ask that you contribute where required to the discussion boards and learn from and respond to your peers.
Why should I use it?
The aim of this course is to help you get ahead in your search for a job when you graduate.
Many employers will close their applications for positions as early as December. This course will arm you with the skills and techniques you need and be best prepared as soon as you start your course.
When can I use it?
The platform is on demand so can be used in your own time, 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The course will end on the 27th September 2022 at 11.59pm.
Are there assessments? Will I be credited? How do I pass the module?
On completion of the course and when the course ends and you enrol on your master's course you will be awarded a certificate of completion.
How does this differ to the Careers support at City?
This course is a first step in the support available to you as a City student. When you start at City you can book a comprehensive Careers appointment with our Careers Consultants via email@example.com.
If you have any further questions about the Postgraduate Employability Skills Training Programme, please contact the Head of our Employability Team at Mohson.Khan.firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having trouble logging in to the platform, please contact SST-PGAdmissions@city.ac.uk quoting your Applicant/Student Number.