The following are the relevant terms and conditions covering the Distinguished STEM Alumni Award and Excellence in STEM Achievement Alumni Award.
1.0 Alumni eligibility and judging process
1.1 Alumni eligibility
- The nominee must have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree offered by the School of Science & Technology (and its predecessors) at City, University of London.
- Alumni who have previously won an award in any category will not be eligible to win the same award again.
- Deceased alumni are ineligible for nomination (no posthumous awards will be made).
1.2 Judging process
- Eligible nominations will be considered against the published criteria by a panel of judges.
- The judges will select the winner(s) for each category and their decision will be final.
- No communication will be entered into with any person in relation to any decision by the judges.
- If there are no nominees considered of sufficient merit in any of the categories in any year, the judges may choose not to make an award in any of the categories.
- If there is more than one exceptional nomination in any or all categories, the judges can choose to give more than one award.
2.0 Nominations and winners
2.1 Eligibility to nominate
- Nominations are made by members of staff and by alumni.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
2.2 Submission details
- All nominations must be made in English.
- The nominator must complete and submit the nomination form by 5pm on 31 May 2023.
- The nomination form must be completed in full to be considered. Please ensure sufficient information is provided to enable fair consideration to be given.
- Incomplete nominations or those that do not fulfil the criteria will not be considered.
- Changes to nominations will not be accepted after the deadline has passed. Awards will not be made based on the number of times a person is nominated.
- Nominators must select one category for each alumnus they nominate.
- Alumni who receive nominations in more than one category can only be considered in one category.
- Should you wish to change the category which you have chosen for the nomination, you will need to withdraw your nomination from that category and resubmit in another category by the deadline of 5pm on 31 May 2023. See 2.3 for details about withdrawing your nomination.
2.3 Withdrawal from the Alumni Awards
- Nominations can be withdrawn any time before 31 May 2023. Notice of withdrawal must sent via email to STEMAlumniAwards@city.ac.uk.
- In the event of a successful nominee declining to accept the award the judging panel may choose, but is not obliged, to offer the award to an alternative nominee.
2.4 Announcement of the winners
- All nominators will be contacted about the outcome of their nomination(s).
- Nominees will not be contacted unless they have won an award.
- Award winners will be informed via email in July 2023.
- Award winners will be told who nominated them.
- Awards winners will be asked to commit to a telephone interview and photo shoot and to provide further information in preparation for the awards announcement.
- Award winners will be formally announced by 31 July 2023.
- Award winners will be invited to a celebratory event, depending on UK government guidelines and regulations on events at the time.
- Nominators will be informed if their nominee has won an award once the winners have been confirmed.
3.0 Award criteria
- The criteria for awarding the Alumni Awards for each category is outlined on the respective pages. Nominators must ensure that nominees meet eligibility criteria for the award in which they are being nominated.
4.0 Personal data
- City, University of London is a personal data controller registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office. We process personal data in accordance with UK data protection law and the College Data Protection Policy.
- Personal data provided as part of the Alumni Award nominations will be processed for the purposes of shortlisting nominees and selecting and contacting winners, as described in these Terms & Conditions.
- In addition, personal data will be processed in accordance with the Development and Alumni Relations Privacy Notice. See the privacy notice for further details, including your rights to withdraw consent, object to marketing, and access or erase the personal data we hold or restrict its use.
- If you have preferences as to how the University contacts you, or would prefer not to receive communications from us, you can let us know by completing this form.
4.1 Special Category Data
- Special category data is any data revealing or concerning an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, health, sex life, sexual orientation, trade union membership, genetic data or biometric data. We do not ask for or require this type of data but sometimes it may be relevant to a nomination.
- If you are nominating someone else and wish to include special category data about them in your submission, you must make sure you have their consent to share this data with us.
- The School of Science & Technology reserves the right to make a final decision on any individual’s eligibility for the awards.
- The judging process and the results are confidential and will not be shared.
- Judges are required to declare any conflict of interest and will not be allowed to judge entries in which they have any interest.
Distinguished STEM Alumni Award
For alumni who have achieved significant success within the respective STEM discipline.
Excellence in STEM Achievement Alumni Award
For alumni who have made significant progress in their careers within ten years of graduating from the School.
Nominations and how to apply
Find out more about the nomination process and how to make your entry.
STEM Alumni Award news and events
Awards Ceremony 2022
Join us for the Awards Ceremony at Northampton Square on 7th November.
In interview with Andreea Cristoloveanu
Andreea offers insights into her quest for academic and professional excellence.
In interview with Linus Benjamin Bauer
Linus shares highlights from his times at City and his professional career.